Dave
(That 70's Guy)
12/30/01 07:22 PM
Would you pay?

Would you pay $10.00 dollars a year for a bannerless chat room in which you could even add your own advertising? (I'm working on offering this, just wanted to see how motivated I should be. ~Dave)
Yes! Yes! Yes!
No! I'm cheap.
EEEK! To many options... I can't decide!

Fujin
(new member)
02/03/02 04:05 PM
Re: Would you pay?

Um, yeah, if I was allowed. This is a good, good, good, good, good, idea!!! But... only if you still have a free version, but just another paid version with more options, maybe a free e-mail or something, me dunno!

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
02/04/02 06:28 AM

I'll always offer a free version :)

The paid versions will have more options. I just haven't had enough time lately to get to everything. My wanting to offer the paid versions has prompted me to have to modify the database and how it's currently used. Things just got a little more difficult as far as maintenance goes with this in mind. I'm still working on it though. :)

matt98
(new member)
02/04/02 09:37 AM

Hi,

Yes I think this would be a good idea too dave.

Thanks,
Matt aka matt98

mattd8752
(new member)
09/20/03 10:55 AM

my site would pay IF you added an instant messanger
Cheatnow the ultimate cheat site.
thanks
gamers rule never give up

Valkeri
(new member)
09/21/03 08:31 PM

Well, I'd have to say...no.
Reason being, I'm rarely chatting these days. Have a hard time putting up w/ other people's stupidity. Most of the time they chat about absolutely nothing. Or then there's the fighting. Or mistreatment of other chatters. I have to be in the "mood" to deal w/ all of these things.

Johnharry
(new member)
09/25/03 06:23 PM

$10 is very fair. What I would like is a way of guests being able to use my site. Not sure if that is possible now. It would make my life easier and those visiting my site if they could just come in and ask a few questions quickly and be on their way.

Thanks

Johnharry

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
09/26/03 11:20 AM

I should have things wrapped up soon. The new code generation tool turned out much better than I had envisioned. I still have more work to do on it but I think everyone will be happy with it. (I hope) I may put the first page of the code generator up for everyone to get a preview of what's coming. There's about 4 or 5 steps/pages so it's more involved but much of the user supplied information needed to construct the code is optional so it *can* go very fast if they just want the defaults.

water_foul
(new member)
09/28/03 06:07 PM

This would be very cool but i dont have any money (ever)

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
09/28/03 07:56 PM

That's fine too. Free rooms will be limited to 5 users max once the new server code is finished. Then at some point there will be a limit on the number of free connections to the server it's self. (200 max) This will allow for 40 free frooms per server. I'm not sure how feasable limiting the server connections will be though so that may not materialize.

susaninthegarden
(new member)
10/21/03 07:30 PM

when will it be limited to five people? we have just found this and are really excited to have a good chat.
we would pay a small amount if we can have more than five.
and is there any chance of more smileys or options for them?
thanks. great chat. thanks.

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
10/22/03 08:07 AM

It will be limited sometime before the year is over. I just haven't had the time or money to get that finished up. At the moment I'm under a ton of work but once that's out of the way I'll be able to get back to this more diligently. The cost/price is very low compared to other paid solutions that are out there. I have bounced back and forth on prices some because I am cutting it so close to line on what will pay the bills and what doesn't. I'm not trying to turn a proffit although that would be nice... lol

Current price ideas is:

$10 dollars = 10 user limit, no banners, per year.
$15 dollars = 20 user limit, no banners, per year.
$25 dollars = 35 user limit, no banners, custom smilies/sounds option, per year.

$1 dollar per user per year after 35.

The custom smilies/sounds option may be added to the other packages for $5 dollars a year also.

susaninthegarden
(new member)
10/22/03 12:29 PM

hey thanks and yes i would pay that for the no banners but mostly for the people and smileys. can you give us thirty day notice? please? thanks

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
10/22/03 01:14 PM

Yes I'll definately be giving at least a 30 day notice.

FaeQueen
(new member)
10/27/03 07:27 AM

I wouldn't mind paying Dave I find banners a bit distracting but realise revenue has to come from somewhere.

I have another free Chat Room on one of my sites which has no advertising at all - how are they able to do this?

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
10/27/03 07:59 AM

Hi Fae, I wish I knew.

Of course if you look at the fact that the advertisements in these chat rooms don't actually make any money because they are just banner exchanges I could remove the banners too and still be no worse off. I may, in fact, just do that once the servers have been recoded to limit 'free' rooms to 5 users.

The only money generated by advertising that I recieve is from the text ads listed on the lower left hand of the page. Some months I make almost .50 cents. (no joke)

All in all, I can't see how anyone can not continue in today's internet services without charging a fee for them. 1998 is over and the free internet is dead along with a lot of dot bombs that figured advertising would pay their bills online. LoL the only reason I'm here is because I'm stubborn and I work from a shoestring budget.

FaeQueen
(new member)
10/27/03 10:49 AM

I've always wondered how effective the 'PayPal Donate' button is, many sites seem to have them now. If I download a helpful graphics tutorial for example I don't mind popping a couple of dollars in the pot, perhaps it would work here too.

roarbeauty
(new member)
11/13/03 05:42 PM

Hello,
No I wouldn't, I'm just getting started and can't even really figure this whole chat room thing out. Is there some kinda blonde proof instructions to see the people talking in any particular room at one time? I guess maybe since I'm a rookie some one out there could give me some suggestions about promoting the chat room and perhaps any advice would be helpful. I do think this is a great idea though! :confused: :smirk:

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
11/13/03 06:17 PM

Sadly I have only recieved a single donation out of 35,000+ users that have registered. LoL *sigh*

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
11/13/03 06:22 PM

That's ok roar, I'll still be offering 'free' chat along side the paid subscription chat. There will be a limit on the number of users in free rooms though. But other than that there won't be many differences.

MASKFan
(new member)
11/16/03 12:19 PM

My answer? OH YEAH! I can afford $10 a year. ^_^ So you can almost count me in Dave.

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
11/16/03 12:25 PM

Thanks

MASKFan
(new member)
11/17/03 07:11 PM

Anytime. Besides, it'd be sad if a 24 yr old couldn't afford $10 a year, no?

MASKFan
(new member)
11/18/03 01:44 PM

Dave,

I have $10 stuck back, should I send it now or wait?

BrainMan
(new member)
12/06/03 10:25 PM

Just gotten here, answer is yes I would pay , even if I have to collect pop bottles to get the money. Still learning the rope here. With more smileys the better as chatters love them smileys. Don't see what I can sell with ads and wouldn't anyway, do hate them ads, do realise revenue has to come from somewhere. So answer is YES even so I am not rich.

BrainMan

veeaye
(new member)
12/14/03 11:33 AM

I think the overall design of these chat rooms are a bit scrappy and im a new user so i dont quite know what the buttons do and I dont know if it has features like user banning and to be honest.. my room aint even working at the moment.. but if it worked out well.. sure.. I would pay... because the only thing I have to lose is... $10.. oh yeah... and those annoying adds... lol

oh yeah and how do you join the banner add program? could I have the URL for it? ... thanks

BrainMan
(new member)
01/08/04 05:29 PM

Is the new chat system still in the works ?
been waiting here for the updates, even got some
smiley gifs ready to go for emotions, won't really
need sounds as our chat room is a deafchat.
unless it's a bomb sound......

Misty
(Staff Member)
01/08/04 11:14 PM

Dave is still working on the advanced chat.

What smiley faces have you gotten?

BrainMan
(new member)
01/11/04 12:20 PM

Gotten some from a smiley site that were free for saving as site said, also made afew of my own and using the crusher to crush them down to fix 30x30 or was it 40x40 ? can't recall the size it needed for msn IM. All I can do is wait and see what the sizes and files must be for chat emotions and how many will be allow. Could even use some of chattersonline emotions if allow to. We have created a new community , still have our old community, just not in a hurry to get new community up and running so fast. Only 20 members in new community , could get alot of members over a weekend if we invite them all over to the new community, which we haven't yet.

Misty
(Staff Member)
01/11/04 03:17 PM

Great!!!

I am glad to hear that things are working out good for you and your community. It is a nice thing for people to offer to each other for help and comfort. Keep up the good work!

NormS
(new member)
01/14/04 11:03 AM

Hi Dave,

Was wondering when the paid/no ad rooms are going into effect. I saw a post from you a while back that had some preliminary pricing for # of users, I think its very reasonable and we would go for a 35 user room. Just was wondering when you were planning on making the switch.

Also, I saw info quite a while ago that the JAVA code was changing for entering the rooms. I never saw an email or other info on that, can you give me an update? Did I miss it or didn't it happen?

Our chat room is Engine Shack Chat - we discuss antique stationary engines. You can get there with this link:
Engine Shack Chat

Thanx!

LeaderViper
(member)
02/23/04 08:37 PM

Hmm... I think that it is a little to much to have a "5 person limit" I think that it should be able to have more ppl in the room at once and more than the limit of connections too.
(just my opinion)

Dave
(That 70's Guy)
02/24/04 03:26 AM

I'll probably have a 10 person limit on the free rooms. Still debate on things daily. Still not enough time in the day for me to work on my own stuff. Connection limits? There has to be. Or there wont be enough room for others.

sok13
(new member)
04/12/04 06:52 AM

naw that woud be shite

PJ_
(new member)
04/13/04 06:42 AM

I have another free one on my site which has no adverts at all... it's got a few emoticons, I can kick people out of it... BUT it fills the whole screen and covers up any other windows that are open

Juliet
(new member)
08/02/04 06:08 PM

yophidachs
(new member)
10/19/04 11:42 AM

I would pay if there were still a free option and the pay option had more features. $10 for a year is a great price!

SplatteredPhthalo
(new member)
11/22/04 10:40 PM

Yup me too, when can we sign up?

Hanie
(new member)
12/04/04 07:41 PM

Yup ! i would like to pay too. But can you make the chat window bigger? and more smile icons???
Best wish to you Dave
Cheer
Nie

bambeeno
(new member)
02/04/05 10:05 AM

hi dose any1 wanna chat

Batista
(new member)
01/22/06 05:17 PM

I wouldn't mind paying but the ownly reason i wouldn't pay is because i baiely have money sorry