Home Forums Archives Suggestion Box To Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ami
    Participant
    UK

«11:27» <Global> [Logon News – May 15 2002] Thanks to the recent racial slurring of various mirc client quit messages I have whole heartedly decided to close the doors to everything but JavaChat. Thanks for helping me make this decision. ~Dave

With all due respect, I’d like to point out that, though i don’t, if i wanted to be abusive when leaving, whether racist or otherwise, i can just as easily do so using Java. This slurring must surely be from a small minority of users (personally i have not experienced it at all) and this decision will certainly make life harder for me and I suspect others too. While i would agree that we would not want any level of racism or abuse on the server, I can’t see that this is the best way to deal with it. Can you not disable quit messages?

Along the same lines, i find the present lack of a list command a real bind, if there is nobody in my room i can’t now go and chat elsewhere, as i have in the past. Unfortunately, in the fight against spam (which i hate as much as you btw) you have lost some good features, a case of ‘throwing out the baby with the bathwater’ i think.

While i thank you for the provision of the server, and respect and support your right to run it as you see best, i feel that i should point these things out, as feedback from users must be helpful 🙂

Dave
    Keymaster
    Scandinavia, WI

I’m moving my services to a subscription based offering. There will still be a free version with limited features. There is no need to have the various commands available for mirc when the java chat will not be using them. As far as /quit messages go yes you still can use this command with the java applet. (it is one of a few others that will be removed from the applet’s abilities)

I spend over $1,800.00 dollars a year on this little hobbie of mine now and I really don’t forsee mirc users paying for chat services. It’s slow going in getting in the changes I need to make for java as I have a real full time job to pay the bills for myself and my family. This “hobbie” of mine will either be able to pay for it’s operating costs at some point (excluding my efforts/labor) or I will simply shut it down as I would rather purchase a new truck and put the money currently spent towards that.

There are numerous chat networks out there that one can visit and use freely. I suggest trying one of them if mIRC is your client of choice. I believe mIRC comes with a listing of those networks but I could be wrong. If so then take a look at some of the bigger networks such as efnet.net, undernet.net and dalnet.net.

Thanks for the feedback. It is indeed read and weighted with consideration.

Nothing rhymes with Cindy Crawford after 9 coronas...
    Dave
    Keymaster
    Scandinavia, WI

I forgot to add that the mIRC quit messages were not the only factor in shutting off IRC access. I had been debating the issue over a period of time with no decisions one way or the other till now.

Nothing rhymes with Cindy Crawford after 9 coronas...
    skid
    Participant
    United Kingdom, Derbyshire.

$1,800 is alot, considering i’m UK thats roughly 1,600 which is still one hell uv alot considering I don’t think many people appreciate your work, if this is to be FREE, then you should start getting in those ads whereby you click it and then you get cash from the company in the ad. This will bring in a fair ammount if, when the site is loaded you have to click say, 4-5 links or whatever, all SAFE, but then you might get a couple dollars for each person, which, if you look at your site hits, damn you will be quids in and the cost will/should be reduced significantly, however, it’s probably a fool’s hope, but at least I am trying.

I am new here, and would like to have a good chat with some of the guys here. And glas possibly I have altered my forums significantly to suit my needs and am rather proud http://s9.invisionfree.com/XDV_discussion/
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Suggestion Box’ is closed to new topics and replies.